Sunday, July 18, 2010

Athidhi Devo Bhava.......




It is never too late. At least now the government of India has got to its senses  and has taken a step like this to awaken the sense of responsibility with in the people. There can be no good ambassador for this campaign other than Aamir Khan .
When I saw this video I remembered an incident which I witnessed in Mysore. Mysore is one of the prominent tourist locations in south India. I was there for a while when I was with Infosys. One weekend I went out with my parents who came there to spend time with me. We were at a small hotel having breakfast. There were three foreign tourists . Two women and one man. They were talking normally but I  noticed that one of the women had a feeling of deep discomfort. It did not take much time for me to realize the reason. The type of look on her face made me guess the reason and soon I found out that what I guessed was right. There was a man , who looked like a loafer and he was just eating her away with his eyes. You need not be a woman to understand or feel uncomfortable because of that look.
I just wanted to go and slap him, but my senses held me back . I still feel bad that I did not do some thing that day. I was with my parents . I did not want to create a scene. Had I had  some support I would have taught him a lesson. But this is what many would say. This add taught me not to expect for support when you believe what you are doing is write. So when some one does support you it will only add up to your strength to show a sense of responsibility . If no one does , if  every one feels that you are making a scene, they will only talk about it for a day or two  and they may forget . And you will have this everlasting feeling of happiness which u get when u stand for some thing noble. And that lady, she need not be a foreigner or even a tourist. She can be a fellow citizen , a sister to some one , a daughter to some or even some body's wife, she will remember you and she will most importantly remember that there is still good left in this world.

Well I even have a good memory to share. When I was at college , One monday morning I was on bus to vidyanagar . Many people , don't have a sense that they should not sit in the seats allocated to women. So u can ask me a question. What if there is an old man or an ailing person who is a man?  Well my answer is obviously the one which any one with common sense would give. If I were sitting and if I find some body needs a seat more than I do, I would have given it to him/her. So, that day there were these men two of them, too much healthy with only their  body fat as burden and a college student( i realized later that he was my junior) sitting in lady's seat. There was an old lady and and old man standing in the bus. I  did not ask these men to get up because I was standing. I asked them to give seat to the old people. After much heated argument , that student who was just being an audience  till then got up and offered his seat to the lady. But those two  men moved not an inch and one of them even pretended to be sleeping. I had a few girls with me , my classmates who were constantly asking me to give up. But I did not , at least that lady got a seat. I felt happy but only half happy and I would confess , I secretly wished that one day when those two men are old they should undergo the same situation that the old couple now were in. But who knows , they might have committed so many irresponsible things like this that they may even not realize that their past sins are responsible for their situation then. They may just crib. Or they may shout at people and occupy their seats unlike this helpless old couple.

Thanks for reading. I hope this post helped you feel that there is some one in this world who is like you if you want to work in fact fight for a good cause

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Maybe you can add it here. Standing up for what you think is right is their theme this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by . Comments help me to write better . Please do share your opinions and experiences.I could use a friend in this search of serendipity.