Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Break Time

I have always loved ads. I loved the magic they could create in just a few minutes . To me it is more effective and more appealing than the magic that can be created by a 3 hour movie  . As a child my only favorite time on TV was the commercial break . I loved these ads more than "Mogli The Jungle Kid " , I loved them more than  the epic stories of "Mahabharath" and "Ramayan".

When I was a kid ,when Mogli was the most loved cartoon character for Indian kids and when DD was still the most popular channel,  life used to be plain and beautiful. During the early years of cable TV when number of channels increased I got bored of that plain life initially but now I realize how beautiful life was when things were simple .

My intention now is not to talk about good old days .

I am one of those people who cry very rarely in real life.I don't cry even if the gravest thing has happened to me . Atleast this was true till some age . But I always cried while watching some ads and some movies  , even as a child . Some times I was moved by the romance in the scene , some times I was moved by the unity showed by people in that scene . And that appreciation lingered for a while like the smile on my face , after watching that scene .

Here are two most recent ads which moved me . In the first ad when an Indian woman makes a paper bird for a Japanese girl I remembered Vamsi. Vamsi said he made friends with kids , because of origami , during his journeys .

I felt how beautiful would it be if people from different races in the world mingle as the two races in this ad. And then there was a tear :) . How easily they flow ! Here is the ad .



The second ad is pretty plain , yet it is beautiful , simple and very romantic. Airtel 3G add



Here is what I feel is the stupidest ad. It is stupid and I still like its stupidity . At first you only find it funny but as you watch it again and again it does plant the message in your head , so clearly with out any other distractions like romance or unity or any such good or bad concept . For people who don't understand what is the advantage of  3G  , I think this ad is better than the Airtel 3G add. In Airtel  3G ad the story which is used to introduce the product lingers more and stays longer in a viewers mind than the product itself .



No matter how good these ads are didn't a wise man called "The Modern Consumer" prove that he may buy a product only once because he likes the ad  and for the product to be bought again he has to like the product? This clearly has been the trend with " Mobile Phone Service Providers " at least .

Vibha


1 comment:

  1. I love the picture at the top of your blog! Why oh why don't your new posts show up in my reader??? I can't figure it out. Maybe I'll unfollow you and then follow you again and see if that fixes the problem.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by . Comments help me to write better . Please do share your opinions and experiences.I could use a friend in this search of serendipity.